There are some basic dyno maintenance steps you can perform that will keep your X-Series Engine Dynamometer up and running. We typically break up these up into Monthly, 3-Month, and 6-Month intervals. In the following Tech Tip, we will walk through a few of the steps and inspection suggestions we have for keeping your dyno in optimal working order.
Monthly (or 100 Hours of Operation)
- Wipe off each zerk before applying grease. Lubricate monthly with Mobilith SHC-100 or equivalent in two places.
- Two per dynamometer assembly. Do not overgrease.
Teflon Positive Seal:
- Check by observing weep holes. If leakage is evident, replace seal.
- Two per dynamometer assembly. Located on the bottom of each end bell assembly.
Gland Packing Seal:
- Check by observing weep holes. If leakage is evident, tighten or replace packing.
- Two per dynamometer assembly. Located on the bottom of each bell assembly.
- Tighten the packing gland nut with the dynamometer running. Tighten no more than two notches at a time when excessive leakage is discovered. Once adjusted, run dynamometer for five (5) minutes and repeat as necessary. Packing should leak a few drops per minute at ¾ load.
Drive Shaft Guard Securing Pins & hinges:
- Check operation and if necessary grease securing pins and hinges with chassis lube.
Water Pressure Regulator Accumulator:
- Re-check accumulator charge every month
- Replace bladder in the accumulator if accumulator does not maintain charge pressure
Cooling Column Sight Glass and Tube:
- The frequency of cleaning will depend on the cleanliness of the water jacket of the testing engines.
Colling Column Gasket:
- The frequency of cleaning will depend on the cleanliness of the water jacket of the tested engine. If the column is not holding water or pressure, the gasket may be dirty or worn. Clean and replace if necessary.
3-Month (or 300 Hours of Operation)
- Clean out water supply system Wye strainer(s)
Drive Shaft Universal Join Grease Fittings(s):
- Wipe off each zerk before applying grease. Grease every three months using NLGI #2 mineral oil grease with a lithium soap base until if purges from all bearing cups.
Drive Shaft Slip Joint Grease Fittings
- Wipe off each zerk before applying grease. Grease every three (3) months using NLGI #2 mineral oil grease with a lithium soap base.
Engine Cart center Block and Screw Mechanism:
- Grease every three (3) months. Lubricate fitting using NLGI #2 mineral oil grease with a lithium soap base.
- Clean screw mechanism as necessary
6-Month (or 600 Hours of Operation)
Load Cell Ball Joints:
- If equipped with grease fittings – lube with chassis lube every three months. Wipe off each zerk before applying grease.
Trunnion Bearings :
- Lubricate with Mobilith SHC-460 or equivalent in four places, two per end bell. Wipe off each zerk before applying grease.
Magnetic Speed Pickup:
- This operation need only be done if erratic speed readings are noted
- Remove magnetic pick-up and blow off with compressed air any metal particles that may be attached to the tip. DO NOT wipe off.
Calibrate Torque, Temperature, and Pressure:
- Perform calibrations using instructions found in the PowerNet software manual.
Engine Cart Casters:
- Grease caster axles and swivel bearings with chassis lube.
Cooling Column Casters:
- Grease caster axles and swivel bearing monthly with chassis lube.