Power Test, Inc.
AC Series Dynamometer
The AC-Series (Alternating Current) engine dyno is designed for additional functionality not provided by other […]
The AC-Series (Alternating Current) engine dyno is designed for additional functionality not provided by other dynamometer testing technologies. The AC-Series is capable of applying power to the engine as well as absorbing power (braking) via the connected driveshaft. This allows the dynamometer to simulate external forces on the engine and allows the dyno to crank an engine eliminating the need for an engine-mounted starter.
The AC-Series does not require a water cooling system and instead dissipates energy via an air-cooled load bank or returns power to the grid via an AC regenerative drive.Show More
The Power Test AC Series Dynamometer is designed and manufactured using a powerful yet simple design solution; unlike typical Water Brake or Eddy Current Dynos; they have the ability to apply power to the engine as well as absorb power from the connected shaft. This gives AC Dynamometers additional functionality , such as simulating the forces on an engine while a vehicle is rolling downhill, or allowing the dynamometer to crank an engine, which eliminates the need for an engine-mounted air or electric starter.
AC Dynamometers also eliminate the need for cooling media (water systems) to remove the power absorbed from a engine. Power produced by the engine, while it is operating in LOAD mode, may be dissipated using an air-cooled resistive load bank, or returned to the electrical grid – via an AC regenerative drive. Where permitted, the operator of an AC Dynamometer can receive payment (or credit) from the utility for the returned power via net metering.
- Full 4-Quadrant Variable Frequency Drive for bi-directional, absorbing or motoring operation.
- High-Precision inline torque meter measures direct flywheel torque.
- High-torque low-inertia machines.
- “Green” energy technology returns power absorbed from the unit under test.
- Eliminate dynamometer cooling media requirements.
- Continuous dynamometer motoring capability eliminates the need for engine starters or cranking motors.
Features and Benefits
- Power ranges up to 1,000 HP
- Speeds up to 8,000 RPM
- Torque up to 3,000 lb-ft
- Full 4-quadrant variable frequency drive for bi-directional absorbing (or motoring) operation
- High-precision inline torque meter measures direct flywheel torque
- Green energy technology returns power absorbed from the unit under test
- Eliminates dynamometer cooling media requirements
Power Test has the knowledge and experience to design and manufacture a custom AC Dynamometer to match virtually any specifications. Below is just a small sampling of the custom AC Engine Dynamometers we have produced. Many options are available, contact our sales associates today.
|HD-1005B||100 HP (75 kW)||175 lb*ft (237 Nm)||8,000 RPM|
|HD-2005B||200 HP (150 kW)||595 lb*ft (807 Nm)||6,000 RPM|
|HD-4005B||400 HP (300 kW)||1,200 lb*ft (1627 Nm)||5,000 RPM|
|HD-5805B||580 HP (435 kW)||2,040 lb*ft (2767 Nm)||4,800 RPM|
|HD-6705B||670 HP (500 kW)||2,347 lb*ft (3,183 Nm)||4,200 RPM|
|HD-8005B||800 HP (600 kW||3,000 lb*ft (4067 Nm)||4,500 RPM|
|HD-10005B||(1000 (746 kW)||3,000 lb*ft (4068 Nm)||3,500 RPM|